At Kogenta we believe that high-quality data and insights can be both portable and probabilistic. Our view is that geo-contextual solutions will play a crucial role in delivering omni-channel insights, and planning and activation strategies that are future-proofed for a post-GDPR, cookie-less and Mobile Advertising ID (MAID) free future.
Whilst one-to-one targeting will always play an important part in the marketing mix, regulatory and industry-led initiatives will require planning and activation strategists to also embrace targeting on a one-to-few and one-to-many basis. It is in these instances that a geo-contextual approach can provide significant benefits.
There are many benefits to be gained from geo-contextual solutions such as those that Kogenta provides. A few key points are summarised below:
- Privacy first: By focusing on locations and not people, geo-contextual solutions do not seek to profile or manipulate personally identifiable information (PII) data in any way, thus providing a truly privacy-first approach to audience creation, and insights and activation.
- Modelled against robust truthsets: We are often asked how we create our geo-contextual data. In Kogenta’s case we use over 70 open-source datasets to create over 400 proprietary indexes against each UK postcode and postcode sector. We also partner with telco partners to fuse aggregated mobility data with our demographic and socio-demographic, consumer expenditure data.
- Portable data assets: Geo-contextual insights work back to geographic areas such as postcode and ZIP code. Data can be seamlessly shared across multiple platforms to enrich supply, and improve buying and bidding strategies.
- Flexible and customisable: Unlike traditional audience segments, an index-based approach allows clients to configure audience attributes that are best suited to them. For example, Kogenta Contextual Indexes (KCIs) can be used to profile areas that are twice as likely to own an EV, 50% more likely to own an EV, or even under-index against EV ownership.
- Omni-channel insights: The Kogenta Explorer platform provides clients the ability to combine our data with other geo data assets (including their own) to build out powerful omni-channel insights. Our data visualisations can bring this level of granularity to life and help with planning and pitch work. Clients can also profile their own data (eg. postcode sectors for clients who purchased goods) against Kogenta data assets to identify prospective new clients with similar traits.
Figure 1 – Social Grade AB Residents depicted across Postcode Sector
Sell Side Benefits
From a publisher perspective, the depreciation of cookies and MAIDs will impact publisher yields and addressable inventory. There is also much debate about how contextual solutions impinge on the publishers’ IP. In addition to this, brand safety concerns seemingly serve to unduly block revenue from high quality sites.
Geo-contextual solutions can add value in the following ways
- A data solution that empowers publishers: Geo-contextual solutions can be additive to publisher yield by providing non-PII data that they control to enrich their inventory for both programmatic and direct sales teams. This can take the form of first party data sets enriched with demographic, socio-demographic, and household expenditure attributes. When combined with the Kogenta Explorer platform, publishers can also utilise our data and tools to drive incremental revenue but use geo-contextual solutions to respond to more briefs for both direct and programmatic teams.
- Improve yield in iOS environments: These attributes can also help add a layer of geo-contextual insight to inventory that lacks identifiers and as such help convert non-addressable inventory to addressable; this is especially pertinent to iOS and Safari environments. The ability to leverage geo-contextual solutions to add value to Apple inventory should be a key consideration given the premium placed on Apple users.
- Add value to seller defined audience strategies: While still at a relatively nascent stage, geo-contextual solutions can be seen as a scalable way to assist publishers to deliver higher-yielding supply as part of their seller-defined audience strategies.
What’s your strategy?
We speak with a range of partners across agencies, publishers, and specialists in DOOH, Audio, and CTV. We are happy to explore how we can best meet your objectives and to share real world examples of how our products, the Kogenta Contextual Indexes and the Kogenta Explorer Platform, can bring geo-contextual insights and data to life.
We hope this intro sparks an interest in learning more about how geo-contextual solutions such as Kogenta’s can add value to your post-cookies audience, and to your insights and activation strategies.
Want to know more about our solutions?
Fill in the contact form below and we’ll be in touch shortly.
"*" indicates required fields